Monday 4 June 2012

7 Super Shots.

I used to do 'memes' like this all the time, honest truth - I got fed up with them!! I posted on the original Wilko News about four years ago that I would no longer participate!!
What goes around comes around, I have chosen to do this and I am subsequently not going to be tagging anybody else. I saw it originally on HostelBookers.com when I was trying desperately to win 10 day European Rail Passes and recently a friend in Canada did it because of her friend in India, so it's been kicking around a bit already!
I think the last meme I was tagged in was about four years ago with the aforementioned friend in Canada with whom I used to do a Photoblog. The standard of travel photographs is exceptionally high and I am honoured to  think that even just one of the millions of pics that I have taken over the years brings a smile to at least one person's face.
Such is the art of photography.
There is so much admin involved in these things but I need to say that I am taking part in HostelBookers 7 Super Shots, but that's ok because they have also got 7 Super Shots posted there which you will want to see!!


So here we go 7 Super shots, well I think so but they are so ridiculously hard to chose but let's see what you think hey?


1. A photo that ...takes my breath away
2. A photo that ...makes me laugh or smile
3. A photo that ...makes me dream
4. A photo that ...makes me think
5. A photo that ...makes my mouth water
6. A photo that ...tells a story
7. A photo that ...I am most proud of (aka my worthy of National Geographic shot)


The view from the top of America, Floor 103, Willis Tower, Chicago, where you can't see where Lake Michigan joins the sky takes my breath away.
I first visited Chicago when it was called Sears Tower during the one week that I couldn't visit the top due to lift, sorry, elevator maintenance. February this year I revisited Chicago and even this picture was taken on the second visit to the top the first being a zero visibility day. North America as a continent has lost out to Asia in terms of tallest buildings but Willis Tower remains the tallest building in the United States of America. Incidentally 3 of the buildings visible are in the Top 10 tallest buildings of America.
Oh yes sorry..... the picture.........

I am a bit of a geek when it comes to transport and the picture that makes me smile is of a bus from a Canadian bus company that always appears to me to be blatantly 'taking the Michael' out of the famous bus company of its North American neighbours.


You can't see where the swimming pool joins the Mediterranaen Sea in this picture that makes me dream of paradise, after a fashion at least!! This is a luxury resort in Alcudia on the Spanish island of Majorca.

As a photographer it is often other people's thoughts that you take a picture of. Well that's fine because it can still make you think. This sign at Toronto's cathedral is of a poem, which genuinely makes me think.

Someone once said, "Strawberries are the angels of the earth, innocent and sweet with green leafy wings reaching heavenward"
You might have already guessed that the picture that makes my mouth water is of those 'angels' balanced on a glass to fruitily enhance a drink, probably of Sangria, well it was taken in Spain!!  

My picture that tells a story I don't have to go very far to find. Oh it's still a travel picture but people are more likely to have to travel further than me to take it! I used to work on this site, it's the oldest building in Merseyside, part of it dating back to the 12th century when the monks who started the historic Mersey Ferry used to live and pray. It's Birkenhead Priory and it may not tell a specific story to you but it just oozes with history doesn't it?

Well I have to say that it may be only 7 but it is so difficult to chose which ones embarrass you least!! This #7 most proud of category is the hardest by far. I've gone for one from Cuba and the most amazing I'm guessing, Dragonfly. The sky is filled with them in the heat of the afternoon down by the sea and they are all different colours. I was particularly taken by the red ones and yes extremely lucky to be able to take this picture!! National Geographical can do all the research even give you the latin name - I just take my pictures!!!

So that's it, I'm not going to tag anyone but feel free to comment and if you do choose to do it yourself I'd love to see your pics.

7 comments:

Jules said...

Great photos. Thanks for letting me know you did it :)

SIMON said...

Took me back in the best possible way!!

Nisha said...

Hi Simon,

Thanks for sharing these great photos. I wanted to just pick those strawberries and eat ! :)

Great that you did this meme.
Hope to see you more often on my blog.

SIMON said...

Thank you for your comment Nisha, I enjoyed doing it as I did enjoy eating the strawberries!!

Here's hoping to bumping in to each other in blogland!!

Vi said...

Nice shots Simon. Here are my 7 photos
http://www.shorttraveltips.com/7-super-shots/

Chronicles of Illusions said...

love the dragonfly shot

SIMON said...

Thanks Joanne.